Skip to main content

Casting Shadows

I noted an interesting phenomenon this morning, I woke up at 4:30 who knows why. I felt restless and couldn't go back to sleep. As I lay on my bed I watched lights and shadows dance across my walls. I've noticed this happen many times over the year and a half that I've slept in this particular room.
This morning I was curious so I sat up to see what was causing it. A lonely car was traveling the road between Ephraim and Manti as it traveled over the curves of the road the up and down hills of the road created a dancing light effect on my bedroom wall. The car was far enough away that I couldn't even see two distinct headlights, it looked small and insignificant yet it still lit up my darkened room.
If a car 5 miles away can cast my shadow on my bedroom wall imagine what our individual light and darkness can do to those we think are out of our reach.
When a car is driving down the highway the driver is not concerned about whether or not they are giving enough light for someone miles away, their biggest concern is seeing the road out in front of them.
In our lives, if we are using light and wisdom to choose our path it is inevitable that others will be touched and affected by our choices, not because we were focused on changing them or touching them, it will happen simply because we have a light in dark times. Don't be afraid to shine your light, even more importantly don't be afraid that someone else will see your light.
Do you doubt yourself? do you question if it matters? The truth is you may never know the people that your light is affecting but that does not make your light less valid or less needed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Judgemental Driving

So this may be a little known fact about me, but I have road rage. It's not really extreme but I have no patience with other drivers and I often catch myself judging other drivers over simple things. Such as what lane of traffic they are in, or which lane they decide to turn into. It's probably not super apparent, but something that if you drove with me often (which no one does by the way) you would probably notice. Tonight was a good example of this problem of mine, there was a car in front of me that turned into a turning lane to a road that in my mind seems to lead no where. As I watched this car I mumbled under my breath something about "Do you even know where you are going, or are you lost? Cause that kind of goes no where important." Than I thought about it for a second and realized, maybe their home is on that road, maybe they are going to visit a loved one. Maybe they are headed to a best friends house, in all of those cases it would be a road to somewhere im...

Warmth and Love

The past few days it has really hit me how much grief and loss affect each of us in our lives. No matter how much those around us seem to have it all together there is a great chance there is something that they are grieving in their life. In September my family almost lost my mom, she has always struggled with kidney stones and due to some oversight she ended up in the ICU with sepsis. For days I waited at home unable to do anything to help feeling almost crippled by the pain and fear that I might lose her. One night I went up and laid on her bed and wound up a music box and cried. I didn't want my younger brothers to see me completely fall apart so I stayed in my parents room until I had nothing left to cry. My mom recovered and was able to return home, but even now 5 months later there are moments I can still see that she is still healing from the experience. I know looking inward on my heart that I sometimes feel flashes of the fear creep back in, and that in my ow...

it's simple

I'm a mess sometimes, actually it's not just me, it's life. Life is messy, it's emotional, and because we go so much by emotion, logic flees the scene. Sometimes that what makes things messy is when we either use our head or our heart, and somehow when I start using both of them life gets a little less messy and a bit more sensical (if that's even a word, it is now, I'm running with it) its the balance of your head and heart that bring things together. I don't really ever listen to me own advice, like ever. I am fantastic at giving great advice, I think I would make a fabulous relationship advisor, however it has completely escaped on how to make my own relationships flourish. However I have gotten very good at something else, breathing (yup that is my secret, the cat is out of the bag) breathing. When nothing else makes ensemble and everything is falling apart, breathing makes a hug difference, we'll it better, without it we would die, so yeah I would ...