Skip to main content

Becoming

I'm not a perfect person. I've always known this this, I think that most of us do, most people are pretty self-aware of their own imperfections. However every time I make new goals I become painfully aware of just how flawed I truly am.
The point of making goals is not to beat yourself up, but sometimes the reason we do is because we rate ourselves according to our accomplishments. We make goals so that we may accomplish.
I sometimes see goals as binding and it's a fail or thrive choice. I feel that when I come in short it's over, it's done and I'm finished, I couldn't do it, period. I wasn't strong enough, the ref has blown the whistle and the game is over, I lost. Well that my friends is not true, it never has been true, and it never will be true. In fact nothing could be further from the truth.
Goals and challenges are not so much about accomplishing as they are about becoming, and becoming is about day by day leaving small parts of the lesser old you by the wayside. Also it's about slowly day by day picking up something new to refresh and renew you. It's not a weird live version of star treks "Beam me up Scottie." No instantaneous results.
It's a bit more like walking through a meadow slowly picking up the living beautiful flowers, while learning to let go of the old dying flowers, no matter how sentimental. The dying things of your past can weight you down and start to stink, while the new fresh and living things of your present and future will bring life, light and beauty.
Life is not about perfectly changing and becoming something new. But about perfectly letting go of the need to fight off change and being perfected.
You usually don't wake up to see yourself as someone shiny and new, usually its a day at a time of letting go of something dying and old inside of you enough to embrace something new.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Judgemental Driving

So this may be a little known fact about me, but I have road rage. It's not really extreme but I have no patience with other drivers and I often catch myself judging other drivers over simple things. Such as what lane of traffic they are in, or which lane they decide to turn into. It's probably not super apparent, but something that if you drove with me often (which no one does by the way) you would probably notice. Tonight was a good example of this problem of mine, there was a car in front of me that turned into a turning lane to a road that in my mind seems to lead no where. As I watched this car I mumbled under my breath something about "Do you even know where you are going, or are you lost? Cause that kind of goes no where important." Than I thought about it for a second and realized, maybe their home is on that road, maybe they are going to visit a loved one. Maybe they are headed to a best friends house, in all of those cases it would be a road to somewhere im...

Warmth and Love

The past few days it has really hit me how much grief and loss affect each of us in our lives. No matter how much those around us seem to have it all together there is a great chance there is something that they are grieving in their life. In September my family almost lost my mom, she has always struggled with kidney stones and due to some oversight she ended up in the ICU with sepsis. For days I waited at home unable to do anything to help feeling almost crippled by the pain and fear that I might lose her. One night I went up and laid on her bed and wound up a music box and cried. I didn't want my younger brothers to see me completely fall apart so I stayed in my parents room until I had nothing left to cry. My mom recovered and was able to return home, but even now 5 months later there are moments I can still see that she is still healing from the experience. I know looking inward on my heart that I sometimes feel flashes of the fear creep back in, and that in my ow...

it's simple

I'm a mess sometimes, actually it's not just me, it's life. Life is messy, it's emotional, and because we go so much by emotion, logic flees the scene. Sometimes that what makes things messy is when we either use our head or our heart, and somehow when I start using both of them life gets a little less messy and a bit more sensical (if that's even a word, it is now, I'm running with it) its the balance of your head and heart that bring things together. I don't really ever listen to me own advice, like ever. I am fantastic at giving great advice, I think I would make a fabulous relationship advisor, however it has completely escaped on how to make my own relationships flourish. However I have gotten very good at something else, breathing (yup that is my secret, the cat is out of the bag) breathing. When nothing else makes ensemble and everything is falling apart, breathing makes a hug difference, we'll it better, without it we would die, so yeah I would ...