Skip to main content

Make A Promise

When I was in high school, me and my group of friends used to look for any and every reason to make a wish on something, whether it was the typical shooting star, repeating numbers on a digital clock such as 11:11 or 10:10, the chain clasp on our necklaces slipping to the front, and all sorts of other random things.

I think it's something that's easy to pick up on with all the Disney and chic-flic type movies that young girls see growing up. From Pinocchio, to Cinderella, to Freaky Friday, to the classic The Wizard of Oz there are a lot of films that have story lines built on wishes, and wishes coming true.

Lets face it we all have wishes deep in our heart, or worn on our sleeves with the rest of our heart. Some of them are hidden so deep we sometimes don't even let ourselves think about them, and some of them shine in our eyes so obviously that anyone with any degree of insight will see them. Everyone has something that their heart aches at least a little over, we are human and that aching longing seems to go along with human nature.

I looked up the definition for wish and this is what I found. "feel or express a strong desire or hope for something that is not easily attainable; want something that cannot or probably will not happen." In my heart I have pondered over some of the wishes and feelings of longing I have had, why are there so many wishing wells in the world, and why is "make a wish" such a common phrase? Do any of us know, maybe not, but this is what I feel.

I make wishes because many of the desires of my heart seem so far out of my reach, so unattainable, and so unlikely to happen, so I make wishes. Like a million tiny prayers ascending to heaven from my heart, pleading for either understanding, or maybe some small chance for a miracle.

Until today, I caught myself making a wish, I made a wish on the digital clock on my car dashboard, and I thought to myself what power does that clock have of making my wishes come true? None, whether it says 11:11 or 4:15 there is no power there, period. It does not matter what time that clock says it is, it holds no power over me or for me, or my life.

That is when I realized that for far to long I have put faith in things that are powerless, and have given power to things that have no sway in my life. When really I should have been putting faith in myself and believing in my power to change things. When it comes down to it I am the power of my life, it comes down to my choices, my convictions, and the steadfastness with which I stick to those convictions.

So this is what I am going to do about it from now on whenever I see a wishing well, or really anything to wish over, I am going to make a promise to myself. I am going to think of the one thing I desire the most in my life and I am going to promise myself that I will do something that day that will bring me closer to that desire. I am going to put more faith in myself, and my God, because through God all things are possible. However if you are not acting on anything you are showing faith in nothing, and faith in nothing is very empty.

I promise myself belief in who I am, power to change the paradigm through which I view the obstacles I encounter in life. I promise myself hope for tomorrow, for a better day and better way of living. I promise myself a future of faith in someone and something greater than what I behold today,I promise myself hope.And there will be a thousand more promises in my future, which I will give all I have to keep, so that tomorrow I can wake knowing that there is more light in my life than there ever has been before.I promise to myself and I promise to my Heavenly Father that I believe in a beautiful future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Shame Game

     Exactly 450 days ago I got married, the day that everyone says is the happiest day of your life. I was happy, incredibly happy. But happiness is a strange and interesting emotion, it's not like instant gratification or even like the anticipation of a surprise, it's soft and quiet. Happiness comes through the application of true principles in life sometimes the result is so subtle that you will completely miss the happiness if you don't know that it is real and existing right in front of you. Happiness is like a habit and if you stop nourishing it, it will fade and completely disappear, most of the time we don't notice the absence of light and happiness until it is so drastic that it would take a great change of action to restore it.     On January 24th my husband moved out after almost 13 months of marriage. I had always known marriage would be hard and that it took effort and change to make it work, I saw my older siblings in their marriages and I knew when I de

Starting somewhere

    I miss writing. I miss the way it sooths my soul, the way it empowers me to look at the details of my life in a positive light. There has been so much going on in my life lately that writing basically got buried in a corner forgotten.      Some of it might be due to the fact that havent felt very positively about my life lately. But I miss the feeling of being in-love with life, I miss feeling alive. Somewhere inside of myself I know that if I want to feel those things again I need to find the courage to pull out the things I love and dust them off. At first it might not be very pretty, like a painter that is out of practice there are bound to be some duds before there are masterpieces.     Here I am making it full circle with a goal that is the very reason I started this blog, I want to start writing everyday. Writing things that I hope can help and inspire others and maybe in the writings of my soul I will be able to refind myself.     Its interesting where life takes you and

Complacency

2 Nephi 28:21 " And others will he pacify, and lull them away into carnal security, that they will say: All is well in Zion; yeah Zion prospereth, all is well- and thus the Devil cheateth their souls, and leadeth them away carefully down to Hell"  Complacency, it's a curse of this generation of which we live. Everyone seeks for comfort, but don't get comforting lifestyles confused with comfortable lifestyles.. A comforting life style can bring you peace, joy and growth, but is not void of hard times, trial and uncomfortable stretching in our soul. But the growth and trials can bring a lot of peace, and reassurance and in the end it's comforting. A comfortable life style is limited to what is within the lines of our comfort zone and it limits us. Our body will be comfortable and reassured that a life of ease is stable and unwavering. But the soul will long for the freedom of growth. Don't barter away your soul for the complacency of this mortal life.